Thursday, August 27, 2009

American Sex & Poetry

MY WIFE AND I HAVE BEEN BITTEN BY the HBO True Blood series. The Allegorical possibilities are endless. Vampires can be substituted for homosexuals, African Americans. The work is a wonderful critique of white America. The mix of sex and violence is shocking but I can't look away. Director, Alan Ball is some kind of artist. I'm not much into vampires or gothic this-that-or-the-other but the narrative textures in this program are very rich.

HE WRITES:

"When I was 13 years old, I was in a car accident with my sister, who was driving the car. It was her 22nd birthday, and she died. She died in front of me. She died all over me. Death stuck its big old ugly face in my face and my life changed. That's why death seems to be a theme that appears in all my stuff".

AND
"Beauty is in the strangest places. A piece of garbage floating in the wind. And that beauty exists in America. It exists everywhere. You have to develop an eye for it and be able to see it".
The title sequence is an Incredible Haiku that sums it up beautifully.


ANNA PAQUIN AS SOOKIE STACKHOUSE.

1 comment: