Monday, August 31, 2009

Curious Pajamas



LAST CHRISTMAS MY FATHER-IN-LAW GAVE MY son a pair of Curious George pajamas. It wasn't until February or March that I actually realized what was printed across the front. (SEE ABOVE) The articles of clothing came from Walmart and no doubt had their beginnings in Haiti, Bangladesh or Nepal at the hands of some young sweatshop worker. I'm not certain if this is a genuine typo or if there's some kind cultural inside joke going on here. I've googled Goorge and I get a smattering of Facebook listings. Perhaps the misspelling was intentional due to unauthorized copyright use? H. A. Rey would be none too pleased.


One step further in this cultural disconnect is my CANADA shirt, (SEE ABOVE) knit in U.S.A. and assembled in El Salvador. I may be naive in this age of globalized labor driven manufacturing but the irony of my 'CANADA' shirt is too much.


. . . George could load the spool very well. The man in the Yellow Hat will be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment