Saturday, August 29, 2009

Location Scouting

MY FAMILY AND I WENT FOR A CANOE paddle out at the Rockwood Conservation Area. As we came down the valley towards to beach we encountered a beehive of construction activity. There was an entirely new kids camp, complete with 5 fully functioning cabins that weren't there a week before. I saw an artist hand painting words on the side of each cabin and I realized that this must be a complete break from reality. Turns out they're going to film a daytime feature here come September. The area is a perfect stand-in for Northern Canada with those crazy Group-of-7 pine trees and Precambrian rock. (Apparently A.J. Cassen lived here between ages 9 - 14).

Afterwords we went into town for sandwiches and the woman there let us in on the rumor that this was to be a film staring The Jonas Brothers. I immediately scrolled through the list of tweens in my community that I could share this with. The sandwich woman's 13 year old daughter is not at all impressed. According to mom she is more interested in Neil Young.


VIEW FROM THE BEACH

2 comments: